Sprocket Size Change

Questions regarding the DR800

Re: Sprocket Size Change

Postby Chris BIG » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Thx Dave, in the morning it's bumper to bumper traffic so you can even get away with a scooter..... but when returning after work the highway is open and 140 seems to be a nice space to be in hence me trying to get the numbers down. Ironically none of our suppliers here manufacturer a "safe" drop down size like Bob suggested (46) The next size that is available is a 42, other than that I will have to have a sprocket cut at an engineering shop. After this it will be back to my search for a viable touring screen here in CT. due to my length and CT being a windy city things are not always as relaxed as they can be.
Chris BIG
Regular
Regular

Postby obrut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:01 pm

been running 15/42 for the last 2 years and personaly find it perfect.

on the roads it means 60 mph in top is just over 3000 rpm, and when i offroad i can hold a gear longer if needed as the engine has more than enough to get the job done.

only downsides is having to shorten the chain and any speed less than 45/50mph in top is a bit juddery so you need to drop to 4th..which for me aint a problem :tup: oh and second gear wheelies are out the question unless you want to abuse the clutch but first is still ok :lol:
obrut
Regular
Regular

Postby Chris BIG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Good to hear, with time running out on my current set up that is the final call for now, once older sprocket off I will get (have it cut....) a 45 as back up. Wheelies not an issue for now as that is still on my bucket list of learnings on the Big, No issues being on the back wheel on mountain bikes but have mental block trying it on the Big.
Chris BIG
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 am

This company http://www.jtsprockets.com/ supply just about every country in the world and that definitely includes SA.
They can supply a 42,46,47,48,49 and 50 rear sprocket
Your dealer is probably just being too idle to bother ordering it
It`s also possible to upgrade to a 525 chain as well 513-15 front and 1821-47 rear but they only do a 47 rear.
Personally I don`t see how anyone can run a 42 rear as I figure it`s way too high and inflexible but I guess it`s all down to personal preference and anyway, I`ve never tried it.
btw the DR600 and early DR650 run the same 42 rear as standard.
Anyone else running non standard gearing?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby dave#22 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Chris, A simple mod to see if you like the raised gearing would be to fit a DR600 16t front sprocket (0437-16). It's a straight swap and no need to alter the chain length, but as BigBob says, the steel crankcase guard will foul. I made a new one out of 1.5 mm x 25mm flat steel with lugs picking up the original mounts, hidden behind the std plastic sprocket cover.
Have fun.
Dave
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby Chris BIG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Thx. Parts came yesterday and had a 15 / 42 set up done. I agree that if you want to do technical stuff and dirt this set up will not be the best option. However on the open highway which is where I spend most of my time I can now keep at 140 km/h at 5500 which is normally where I was at just over 120 km/h, if not in a hurry at 120 it drops below 5000 which is a bit more relaxed and hopefully a bit more economical, but yes you do need to get use to the longer reach. Now for my search for some affordable touring screen to reduce buffeting on my 1.9 m frame... any suggestions :?:
Chris BIG
Regular
Regular

Postby Dento37 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:26 pm

I made this screen from 5mm perspex (sorry for the photo its abit dark,i'll take another) works great! i also build a alloy insert for my digital dash and iphone holder for satnav.

It does give the bike a rallye raid look aswell...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dento37

Postby Chris BIG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Thx! Looks good, did it make a difference with wind buffeting? Did you do the moulding / forming yourself or did you take it to someone to have it made up, I am unfortunately not much of a handyman.... Also how much higher is it more or less than the original screen?

Cheers
Chris
Chris BIG
Regular
Regular

Postby Dento37 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Yes it does make a difference, I have started a small thread about it under DR800 tech.
Not much more info on it but I'll post more photos soon. Cheers
Dento37

Postby tams9 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:39 am

Hello!

I would like to purchase a chain set. A simple DID 520 X-ring type is what I want. Do you recommend a rear 46t sprocket? My rear tyre is 140/80 17.I would not use it on hard off road, mainly road or a few dirt roads. Is it worth? Can I expect moderate fuel consumption? Will I lost the felxibility completely? Thank you, in advance!
Tamas
tams9
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

PreviousNext

Return to DR800