Worth buying it?

Questions regarding the DR800

Worth buying it?

Postby Motero » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello!

I know that probably question like i have,exist,or is even boring,but want to know your reply to this subject. I was driving Pegaso 650 several years,now its sold,and i have seen one nice Big from 1992.

49000km,its serviced,runs great,price is around 1500 euros. Its older bike,but i can say classic amongs enduro already,and biggest thumper.

Is is difficult to maintained it,i have seen chain adjustment every 6000km, :crazy: ,people ar writing everything,but i dont know nobody in my area to ask them..

Would be very grateful to see what you proud owners have to say about this bike,thanks a lot!
Motero
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Worth buying it?

Postby O.R. » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 pm

It's easy to service your BIG yourself. Take a look @ the Workshop manual for a good indication.
Drive chain adjustment must be done at almost all motorcycles, and is very easy to do.
Same for valve checking, changing spark plugs, changing filters and change of brake fluid and engine oil.

Adjusting the tension of camshaft chain and balancer chain are not realy difficult, but It is a good idea to try to find someone to help for the first time.

Weak point is the spring of the camshain tensioner. Spring update is advised. A bike with 50kkm, you should inspect the length of the internal chains (camshaft and balancer) as well. Als important is the level of engine oil. When the chains are OK, the price you mention might be OK (picture please ;) )

Further, take a look @ the BIG buying guide
O.R.
Regular
Regular

Postby Motero » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello!

Yes i have seen this guide,this i understand. Because the bike is on other island from me,i cant try it,i need to wait that guy comes here,and then i will see how it goes.

Photos i will put tomorrow during the day.
Motero
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby nug » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:44 pm

The big is probably the most reliable of the old school thumper so provided you find a good one and maintain it you will have no issues.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Motero » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:58 pm

I hoping that is true,because i am living on island,and here such bikes really are hard or imposiblle to see :crazy:

And this one is also on other island,and guy have told me that he can bring it to me,of course,he is telling me that runs good,have seen the photos and video of it,now i am thinking to buy it or not,i like those models,also like old 600 one,was a first real bike that i have try when i was like 15 years old,was a beast.
Motero
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby nug » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Yes the 600 was a beast and I had a few myself.
nug

Return to DR800