Thrust washer which way around on back balancer

Questions regarding the DR800

Thrust washer which way around on back balancer

Postby GrahamW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 am

Hi I am in process of rebuilding my DR800s engine that has sat in the garage in bits for the last 6 years after destroying the main output bearing. I managed to split the crank cases years ago with some help on here from BigBob but my circumstances changed and I ended up putting it on the back burner. I recently came off my other bike and put it off the road and dislocated and fractured my shoulder so am without a bike at the minute nearly 6 months later so this has motorvated me to get the DR back running as have been itching to get out now.

I am putting the cogs back on the balancer shafts and notice that there is a big thrust washer that sits behind the cog for the rear balancer chain. The washer has a groove on one side but I cant see from the service manual which way around it goes. Does anyone know which side the groove should go and if it even matters? Sorry I forgot to mention it isnt clear from the diagrams I have found.

IMAG0312_BURST003.jpg

Thanks Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Re: Thrust washer which way around on back balancer

Postby GrahamW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am

Hmmm now thinking about it I had another look at the expanded parts diagram. The diagram doesnt show the groove or lip on the on washer and the diagram shows it from the front. So does that mean that the devil is in the detail and the fact it doesnt show the groove means that it is hidden on the other side meaning the groove goes to the back.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 am

I can`t remember which way it goes as it so long ago that I rebuilt a bottom end
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:19 am

BigBob wrote:I can`t remember which way it goes as it so long ago that I rebuilt a bottom end

Thanks, I am thinking that the groove is probably to do with oil distribution and the fact it butts against a bearing would indicate to me that the groove should go bearing side but I am just guessing. Will try it that way around.

Do you happen to know where I can get a new balancer chain if I need one? I can see a mark where mine has been rubbing against the crank case at some point but it might be ok once I tighten it up I should try measuring it like in the manual as well but when the manual says pull tight is putting it on the table and pulling it out with fingers enough or does it need constant force applied?
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Well I soaked the balancer chain in some 2 stroke petrol I had to clean it up as couldnt really see the chrome links properly.

I measured the chain length over 21 pins as per the instructions in the manual and the manual says it has a service limit of 158mm, I measured the chain in two separate places and got a reading of 156mm.

IMAG0313.jpg

I have checked the chain for marks from scraping against the crank case and cant find any marks on the chain so maybe the marks are old from an old chain or the chain could have been run too loose maybe.

scrape.jpg

I see balancer chains listed on cmsnl.com for about 74 euros so will keep looking. I think I will put the chain on and try tensioning it then will rotate the crank and if I notice any rubbing, maybe the guide needs replacing as just dug that out and can see grooves in it where the chain has been running along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I have just bit the bullet and ordered a new oem balancer chain and guide from Wemotos along with a new gear shifter shaft oil seal. Since I have the bike apart it makes sense to replace the chain since its been rubbing and only has 2mm stretch left in it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=626&hilit=output+shaft+bearing

I found that old thread I started from when the bearing first went and it brings back memories!
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Why not order it from Robinsons? If you speak to Michelle and mention my name you`ll get 10% off.
List price for chain and guide is just over £114........ ouch!
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby dave#22 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Graham, the spacer should be fitted with the chamfer toward the bearing. It's nothing to do with lubrication, just clearance, so that the sprocket is pulled up tight against the bearing, without the shaft interfering.
The front balance and crank sprockets on the balance chain have the same chamfer toward the bearing.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks I put the washer around with the chamfer facing the bearing, I have not torqued up the nuts yet though as need something to hold the cogs in place. I am probably going to use a bar through the top end of the conrod and the old chain to hold the cogs in place while I torque them up. I am not sure what I am going to do about holding the rotor while I do the rotor bolt up I dont want to use the conrod method with the new chain although I wont be using as much force to torque it up then I would undoing the rotor in the first place.

Do people use threadlock on the rotor bolt, manual says to use some suzuki stuff but I have some blue loctite.

Thanks for letting me know about Robinsons, is that Robinsons Foundry as thats what I found online. Its too late as already placed an order with Wemoto but will remember for next time.

Its frustrating having to wait for parts now as I just got motivated to do this so want to get the engine together as soon as I can.

Also one other thing, my engine has been sitting for 6 years with the cover off so could have spiders and dirt and dust inside although it doesnt look too bad. I am thinking when it is finally running I should give it a good flush with clean oil and a new filter, then replace the filter and oil again.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:37 am

This is my bike BTW:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98&p=466#p466

This forum is a treasure trove as I didnt have a photo of the bike before I pulled it apart. :)
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to DR800