Balance chain tension

Questions regarding the DR800

Balance chain tension

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi I just fitted my new balancer chain to my DR800.

newbalancechain.jpg

I after fitting it I used a pole through the top end of the conrod and the torque wrench to do up the balancer shaft nuts to just over 35nm which is the lower end of the torque range seeings as they are a bit oily. The spring on the balancer doesnt look the strongest but I used it to take up the slack before tightening up the two allen head bolts that secure it.

Here is a little video I took to show the play in the new chain.

https://youtu.be/JomBXEQyL9k

Does that look tight enough?

Cheers Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Re: Balance chain tension

Postby BigBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:35 pm

It needs to be tighter than that but only a bit, you don`t want it like a bowstring.
I`m always wary of using the torque settings in the manual as I`ve known too many people strip threads that way, especially if it`s in an ally casing and prefer to rely on "feel" developed over 50 years or so.
I know it`s not pc engineering practice but I seem to have a better success rate than the Holy Book so far. Go with what you feel comfortable with.
Lining up the balance chain links is a swine of a job and easy to get wrong, so double check you settings when you are done.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Cheers Bob

I have had another go I didnt realise the little bolt with the lock nut was for tightening it more than the spring alone.

https://youtu.be/5Jp6_WGACg4

Hows that.

As for the balancer marks, that was not so hard as I put the chain on the cogs while they were off the shaft and then slid them on.

They seem to match the book ok.

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

:tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby BigBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

RTFM :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Cheers. ;)

Eres another one while I am uploading videos to youtube.

I am noticing a bit of a rattle now when I turn the crank by hand at one point, it seems to be coming from the clutch side which is currently done up.

https://youtu.be/whCw19gv63Y

It sounds like there is some slop somewhere and doesnt make a difference if the gears are engaged or not. I am only noticing this now the balancer chain is on does this seem normal?
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Now this is odd, I had the big woodruff key that goes on the end of the crank shaft that holds the rotor in place in my plastic box of parts.

I just took the rotor and starter clutch out of its bag to inspect as will be putting it back on soon and there is another woodruff key stuck to the inside of the rotor by magnetism! So I have two woodruff keys the same except on is chrome and the other is black. :wtf:

IMAG0351~01.jpg

Now I dont remember buying another woodruff key but it was a long time ago, I dont think there is another big woodruff key like that in the engine that I have forgotton to put back in, surely not?
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby Mick75 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm

It's most likely one of those "extra bits" all manufacturers put into their products just to catch out the home mechanics'
Mick75
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:21 pm

I think BigBob might have given me a woodruff key when I went to see him and he helped me get the engine apart with his airgun. Either that or I bought one and forgot. I have had a look through the diagrams and am pretty sure there is only one of those .
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:49 am

The balancer shaft sprocket nuts each have a Woodruff key, could be one of those.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to DR800