Battery

Questions regarding the DR800

Battery

Postby philcymro » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 pm

From cold I need to attach the charger to get her going but once warmed up she's fine(no the dr not my wife). I don't know how old the battery is so think I'll replace it. What is the best to go for?
philcymro
Regular
Regular

Re: Battery

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am

Motobatt are pretty good
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 am

Don't bother with a lithium battery as they are a bit to temperamental for a big single, mine is fine most of the time but it has let me down usually early in the morning when I need to catch a ferry or similar.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby jamminbmx » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:27 am

I'm with Bob! I have a KLR 650 holiday bike with a motobatt and leave it 6 months at a time...fires on the button. Amazing battery for 50 squids.

I have a Kyoto maintenance free on my BIG which is also great. Never charge it.
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby O.R. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Motobatt is :tup:
Have abused the yellow battery a lot, but not a single problem.
And two sets of battery terminals (handy for the accessories).
O.R.
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm

I have always used motobatts and never had a problem with them have a brand new one waiting to go in my DR when engine is back in.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby H_Lime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 am

nug wrote:Don't bother with a lithium battery as they are a bit to temperamental for a big single, mine is fine most of the time but it has let me down usually early in the morning when I need to catch a ferry or similar.

Yo Nug :wave:
Goodish reviews about shido, balancing charging circuits a step forward and folks reporting thumbs up after extended service. Only thing i see as a major issue is they kinda need a steady 14.2 odd charge rate.....
What if a boy was planning to fit a mosfet rr to his big and run one, should be gravy then?

I hear you about the cold starting buzz. From what i read they seem to need "waking up" by causing a draw (turn on lights!) momentarily before cranking. Mad.

Anyone fitted a mosfet to his big? Would the bigs genny be able supply enough angry pixies for a mosfet to chooch 14+ v steady?
H_Lime

Postby nug » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Was considering fitting a shingflungdung mosfet regulator/rectumfrier to my Big but never got round to it. I have a Shorai battery and generally its ok but still not as reliable or effective as the Odyssey PC310 which I had fitted previously. that was nothing short of brilliant. I think the Shorai's don't perform that great with big V twins and singles. The "wake up" is critical in cooler temps.
nug

Return to DR800