Crash bar not matching mounting points

Questions regarding the DR800

Re: Crash bar not matching mounting points

Postby Yuza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 am

Agree, point is to clear the tanks I would need to use huge spacers at the back where bars bolt on the frame, since they are already quite far from it.
So I think I’ll need to modify/bent them in order to match mounting points on the frame at the back first, and eventually use spacers/new brackets at the front
I have something to do in the weekend!
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Are those bars meant for an Sr43 perhaps? They don't look like they would have ever fitted correctly on your bike.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Yuza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am

They shouldn't, previous owner (a friend) had them fitted, then he crashed and broke one of the joints on the right bar and removed both.
I repaired it and now I am trying to fit them back
Right side might have bent in the crash (even thought it seems ok) but left one was untouched so it should fit...
I have changed tanks also, might it be that they are few mm larger?
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:59 am

I`m not quite sure which crash bars you have fitted but they are not RDMoto as you`ll see here. https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorrad-Sturzb ... SwDFBaHBJj
I have a set of 5Stars crash bars fitted to one of my Bigs and also a Hepco & Becker set to another and they are similar to yours but have different mountings.
I would go with Dave`s idea of locating them at the rear point and working from there.
Of course, it might just be easier to buy a set from RDMoto and save yourself a headache.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Yuza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Good point but I actually like to fix problems by myself [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Too easy to just buy bolt-on solutions.
I am into installation of WP front fork, husaberg yokes, ktm wheel and caliper...crash bars should be easier!
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 pm

I would try to make some different brackets that can bolt to the welded brackets which will allow you to move the front of the bars out and change the angles etc. It would just be a case of re-drilling and bolting to suit.
nug

Postby Yuza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Right bar is now in place, just played with tolerances on tanks brackets. It sits just 2mm from the right tank but seems ok.
Left one is more difficult. If I tighten bolts at the rear then front top is 1cm misaligned with top bracket. If I do the opposite there is a gap of 3cm between rear bracket and bike frame.
Keep on trying...
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to DR800