Raising the front end

Questions regarding the DR800

Raising the front end

Postby Scuzi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am

Has anyone raised the front end of their Big? My other bike is an XTZ750 which has a much higher front end, and the higher position suits me better. The Big is okay but an inch or so higher would make all the difference for me. I have to get rid of one and I want to keep the Big!

You can see the difference...
https://i.imgur.com/wvPmP7C.jpg

The clamps are at the top of the stock forks so there’s no room to move up. I’m guessing there’s nothing else I could do (new springs?) other than a new front end. Any ideas what would be a suitable swap? It’s a ‘91 German import, SR43 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Scuzi
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Raising the front end

Postby BigBob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

At 6ft 6 I`ve always felt the front end was a bit low, especially as I`ve built up the seats on my Bigs by about 3 inches.
Progressive springs would take a good inch of sag out of the front end, though will be a bit too firm for off road.
Bar risers might also be a cheaper option if you need the bars higher.
Putting a complete front end off an XTZ is an option as the steering head bearings are the same but won`t be cheap.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Scuzi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks. Progressive springs and risers might be enough to get a better riding position. Certainly cheaper than an XTZ750 front end - they’re hard to find as most bikes that are breaking seem to have had a front smash.
Scuzi
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby Mr.Z » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 pm

would simply raise your steer with a higher steer or a pair of reversed clamps under your handlebars
Mr.Z
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Return to DR800