Should I get a new camchain?

Questions regarding the DR800

Should I get a new camchain?

Postby Monodoggie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 am

I have a 1994 DR 800 with 55 000kms on the clock alltough I have no idea if thats accurate, the bike has been imported from Germany many years ago and people tend to mess with the odo's. The balancer chain is so streched that the spring won't tighten it anymore so I'll replace that for sure.The camchain doesn't have any slack, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to replace it aswell just to be sure? New camchain, tensioner and guides would set me back around 300€ so I don't wan't to change it if I don't have to, wife wouldn't be happy either :roll: I browsed trough the manual but I couldn't find any measurements regarding the camchain to see if its too streched.
Monodoggie
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Should I get a new camchain?

Postby BigBob » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:01 pm

You can change the camchain easily enough with the engine in the frame. However, the camchain doesn`t give any trouble, neither do the tensioner blades.
The problem is with the camchain tensioner, which has a very weak spring which can break, with the result that the chain jumps the camshaft sprocket and breaks all the valves.
It happened to me and to lots of other people too. It really isn`t funny and costs lots of euros to fix.
To change the tensioner means you have to remove the engine from the frame and take the head and barrel off to replace it.
So you have a choice, spend 500 euros and lots of work on the bike, or keep your fingers crossed.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Re: Should I get a new camchain?

Postby Monodoggie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:16 pm

Seems reasonable enough to spend less money now rather than lots of money later down the road. I ordered a new camchain, tensioner and guides just to be sure, atleast it will be good to go then :tup:
Monodoggie
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Return to DR800