Piston and cylinder

Questions regarding the DR800

Piston and cylinder

Postby GrahamW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi since the weather has got better I have again turned my attention to getting my DR 800 fixed after leaving the project over the winter.

I gave the piston a bit of a clean with some parrafin and put it on with new circlips and then fitted the cylinder after giving the cylinder a bit of a wipe inside with a clean rag and some wd40. I have noticed a bit of wear in cylinder kind of like a lip now it is back together, I put a bit of oil in the cylinder and have been turning the engine over by turning the flywheel and notice a bit of resistance when the rings move over this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJbKDjF-QS0

Does that need reboring with new rings or will just having the cylinder honed fix that?

I am thinking when the bike first broke years ago I got back from work and found that the main output bearing had gone and the seal was leaking oil, maybe this wear is from the ride home with the leaking oil. It does seem like the bike has been rebuilt in the past as I stripped out a helicoil repair on the long bolt that holds the cylinder on. I think I am going to replace hte bolt with a slightly longer one and put a nut on the end of it instead.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Re: Piston and cylinder

Postby nug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:12 am

It looks like the cylinder has had water in it at some time. It may take a heavy hone with fresh rings if you are lucky. Otherwise its a rebore. It all depends how much material needs to be removed.

Took the liberty of checking out the other vids you have posted on youpube..... Climping .....I nearly drowned there many years ago :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am

Cheers, thats not great news then that the cylinder needs some work, I will have to find a shop that can do it and look into a new set of rings. :(

There are alot of things about that engine that I am not happy with, the cam journels in the head look worn as well and the top end of the con rod got a bit of surface rust I had to remove with steel wool. Its a shame I can't just get it back together or that I can't just get a good engine to go in.

Lol glad you liked the other videos of me nearly drowing myself, now I need to find an old second hand jet ski on ebay and have that in bits in the garage for the next 10 years. ;)
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 am

You are not going to like this. You can`t buy rings separately any more and the only piston and rings kit available is the 0.5 oversize which will set you back £341 Plus a rebore at £50 or so plus gaskets at nearly £100 it really isn`t very cheap any more.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Bob

What about these rings from Japan from your earlier post that came up at the bottom?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-DR800 ... 2c82dba370

Or maybe i could just have the cylinder honed and see if I can get away with the existing rings I have. The odd thing is the rings I have look ok, I am thinking the bike must have been running like that for some time but putting it back together as it is would just be asking for it to fail?

Maybe I should just sell the bike as is as a project but would like to see it running again but not if its going to be a money pit. :(
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:03 pm

In my experience rings and bores never wear out, so you are unlucky that there`s a bit of wear in the liner.
I guess at some time in its history it`s been subjected to low oil levels and/or poor quality oil.
If it was running fine before the stripdown and wasn`t smoking or using oil then I would just reassemble it and ride it.
If it uses a bit of oil and has a bit less performance due to cam wear, then live with it, as it will cost £££££ otherwise, and unless you are doing big miles every week it should last for years.
Prices of engine parts are very silly. I replaced a cam chain tensioner recently, along with blades and camchain and it came to £500 with gaskets. :o
If you want new rings go here as they are cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12140-44B10- ... SwUUxaxKV4
A bit slow (expect 3 weeks or so) but a lot less than Suzuki GB are quoting £134!! I`ve used them before.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Cheers I guess thats the manufacturers way of making people buy new bikes making the parts very expensive as the bikes get older. I think I will put it back together as is for now and see how it runs, like you say if it uses a bit of oil it won't matter so much as I won't be putting high miles on it.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Return to DR800