Not sure what to do

Questions regarding the DR800

Re: Not sure what to do

Postby marmite addict » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 pm

GrahamW wrote:Good to know there is another one local. :tup:

So you are turning it into a bit of a custom with a tank that shows off the engine?

It was bought to be a blank canvas Graham. It wont win me any friends on here, but i don`t really like the look of the standard bike. It was going to be something along the lines of a street tracker by lowering the suspension, or maybe a flat tracker by bolting my bandit12 front and back ends on (almost a direct swap...new top hat spacers in the swing arm and a little machining on the steering stem), but I do like dirt bikes, having been brought up as a preteen riding a selection of field bikes, later moving on to trail bikes and crossers (I never raced though), and then passed my test and been riding road bikes ever since. Hopefully, by shaving a few KGs off of the DR, it will pass as a quite reasonable ride. I am aiming to have it on the road by the May bank holiday as I have the week off to enjoy it. The best laid plans though mate.

I have a choice of running gear and a choice of tanks. The tail piece I made myself and once the frame is of a shape to my liking, i will make the side panels/air box. I have a set of Mikuni BST36s from the Bandit which I was thinking of using to give it a little more urgency, but I am not sure how they will work with this engine, DRP pipe and K&N Filter. It is all coming together nicely though. May have to go for a daylight MOT and worry about lights at a later date
The bandit running gear looks quite good on it I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marmite addict
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 am

" It wont win me any friends on here"

Too damn right it won`t!
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby marmite addict » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Sorry BigBob, but I didn`t buy it for its looks 8-) 8-) 8-) . I bought it because I didn`t have the heart to tear down the 1400 in the garage at the time (and still), and I wanted something to play with. I got it for a very reasonable price and it was destined to be a toy from the start. My lodger at the time left me with a whole load of grief to deal with and pay for, and shortly after that, I went and herniated a disc in my back. I did it at work and my bosses were very good, giving me full pay for 4 months while off sick, and I haven`t ridden since. The poor 14 isn`t at all well now and the land rover is buried in the forgotten corner of the garden. My job involves driving my company Transit van around the southeast of England as a pump engineer, and I feel the need to be able to escape the ever increasing traffic and worsening condition of our roads, so the DR is going to be resurrected wearing different cloths.
marmite addict
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby GrahamW » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:11 am

GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:25 am

The DR should be great for coping with the potholes so easy on the back thats one of the reasons I am looking forward to having mine going.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Whatever you end up doing with it, please don't put either of those tanks on it! It will look like one of the Chinese custom bikes that you can hear rusting at night.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Wed May 01, 2019 9:14 am

I made a little video of checking the new gudgeon pin the small end the old one had slight play and could be wiggled slightly with the new one its much better barely wiggle at all.

https://youtu.be/3KDXPPlPIA4

I have my tension now so as soon as I have some time I can start putting it all together. :)
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed May 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Was worried for a big as the stud that holds the head on was in the way of my drill meaning I cant drill out the hole for the helicoil repair but luckily I have another chuck in with my mains hammer drill for breaking up concrete so a chuck in the chuck to extend it should do the trick. Will mask off the engine to protect from swarf though.

GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Meh I dunno I have put the helicoil in it seems ok it is can hold the bolt deep enough, maybe I should have cut the thread deeper but it looked deeper than the helicoil. I tried backing it out again to try another one but the tang came off. I am sure it will do the job fine though.

You know what they say, bad tools make a bodger of the best of us. :lol:

GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 pm

I redid the helicoil as wasn't happy with it as the bolt wasnt doing up properly and had to cut the thread deeper I pulled it out from the bottom.

Piston and cylinder on now:

https://youtu.be/vjvm2LYggv4
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

PreviousNext

Return to DR800