SR43 Fuel Tank reserve?

Questions regarding the DR800

SR43 Fuel Tank reserve?

Postby jamminbmx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi guys!

I ran my BIG tank from full to reserve the other day and can confirm this is 20 litres.

Anyone know how much is left once I switch to reserve?

Cheers!

Ben
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Re: SR43 Fuel Tank reserve?

Postby siwy2411 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:36 am

according to service manual for SR43 (1995 model) it should be 24l + 5.5l reserve (pic attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siwy2411
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby jamminbmx » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 am

Is that 18.5 litres + 5.5 litres reserve = 24 litres total then? :eh:
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:30 am

SR41 & 42 are 29 litres and SR43 24 litres.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby jamminbmx » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:41 am

Cheers Bob! I know when to fill up now :) Trying to find the reserve fuel tap position with the big banging and spluttering in the fast lane was slightly unnerving! :crazy: My missus was not impressed.
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby Hann » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:31 pm

I did about 100 miles on my SR42A today ostensibly to determine that the fuel tanks/tap/reserve/hoses are all working correctly and to see how far i can travel on reserve before running out of fuel: once on the road and in `the zone` i tend to get white line fever and don`t like stopping - even when i`m on reserve i always seem to leave it until the last minute and have come to an engine-off coasting stop after emptying the tank a few more times over the years than i`d like to admit...
Anyway, i bungied a petrol can on the rack, set the fuel tap to what i thought was `on` and set off.
Eventually the engine started to splutter, spit and cough - in the worst place possible - the 50mph av. speed limit on the M27 roadworks with NO hard shoulder.
Switching the tap to what i thought was reserve did nothing and i had to pull over into the lumpy gravel soakaway with cars passing by only inches away.
To make it even worse i couldn`t put the side stand down due to the unevenness of the terrain but luckily i stopped right next to a large broken tree branch which i used to prop the bike up while i re-fuelled.
I thumbed the starter button and was on my way before the CCTV picked me up and sent a recovery wagon.....

Later on during the trip i got to 60 miles since re-fuelling and was still on the main tank, which i thought odd.
I turned the tap to `reserve` and the bike spluttered - had i been on reserve the whole time, hence the M27 fiasco?

Now, maybe i`m getting old or am just a bit thick but the way i see the tap working is the large side of the tap - with the arrow - points to the position you want to use - `on` or reserve, but my experience today suggests that it`s the small side of the tap handle which determines the tank selection?

The more i think about it the more befuddled i`m getting. :shift:

I had the arrow - the long side of the handle pointing up - but the way my bike behaved today suggests that it`s the short end of the handle that you go by?

Has a previous owner dicked about with the plate and put it on upside down?

Confused, Hampshire.
Hann
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:01 pm

On mine its the long end of the handle I know this as I have less than 5l in there from an empty tank and it will start on reserve.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Long bit pointing down for the main tank and up for reserve which is about 5l.
A word of advice.......... it`s not unknown for the diaphragm in the fuel pump to rip itself to bits if you go onto reserve and don`t switch over to reserve quickly due to the vacuum created.
New fuel pump from Suzuki over £150 so look after it.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Hann » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:50 pm

BigBob wrote:Long bit pointing down for the main tank

So some clown has put the metal plate on upside down, then.
Looking at the text it`s also upside down to read.
I thought i was going mad.

It`s also opposite to 3 Hondas that i`ve got so remembering what is what and which is what way round is going to be fun.
I`ll have to make up a reminder of sorts.
I get very bored at work and have access to a label printer so i can see some labels being made soon...
Hann
Regular
Regular

Return to DR800