Bloody Triumph

For any bike that doesn't have its own forum.

Bloody Triumph

Postby Chris1215 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 pm

So got back from the thistle rally. Biggar in Scotland about 220 miles each way. Top weekend. Parked the Explorer in the shed. Went to the bike next day to find oil under the final drive. (shaft drive) this is the 2nd time it happened. Last time I changed the washer on the drain pulg and thought all would be well. But no looks like the oil is coming from inside the final drive and running out the rubber boot. Worringly some oil was on the back wheel. I thought I would have to replace a seal. Got on to local bike shop he had a look at the micro fish no seal listed only a full unit. At over £1200. Carnt be right got on to Triumph and ya full unit only. So a bike with 31000 miles on the clock is buggered unless I get a new final drive unit. Lots of emails to Triumph and as the bike is out of warranty and because I used my local bike shop for sevices they have washed there hands of it. Looking on the Internet mine isn't the only one that's been leaking.
It comes to somthing when a major part can fail at 31000 and Triumph won't except and responsibly.
Just felt the need to share this in case anyone thinking of getting a Triumph.
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Re: Bloody Triumph

Postby H_Lime » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 am

Thats a bad scene Chris and frustrating too.
If i were you i would draft a letter to triumph directly yourself once more stating you will be forced to leave the marque forever more if not covered.
As you point out this is a well known problem and there's many instances of this and some are covered outside warrenty.
Failling that could a independent not fix it? The only thing there is if it's leaking and they replace the whole unit it must not be a seal issue surely? Im thinking wear or machining/tolerances issue?
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Chris1215 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am

Triumph have now stated in there last email. they will not deal with the issue . I will write to them and see if I can get my local tomcc on my side.
If I carnt get it sorted or find a alternative repair I will have to part x the bike or bite the bullet and get a new drive. But the bad bit is this will use up the money i saved to buy a big. If one ever comes up for sale that is.
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:50 pm

It has been assembled by humans....hopefully it cab be fixed by humans? I am sure it could be stripped and sorted by somebody with the appropriate skills. Most seals are standard off the peg items which can be sourced from a supplier just the same a can be done with most bearings. It is not economical to manufacture things solely for one application. Is there an exploded diagram of the part that is leaking? If so, post a link or show a pic of it and it will give us an idea of how viable a repair is.
nug

Postby GrahamW » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:02 pm

What Triumph is that a Tiger? That sounds awful as shaft drives are normally bullet proof. :(
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby dave#22 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 am

Bullet proof.....have a look a problems with the BMW GS1100/1150/1200's with oil leaks and bearing failure.
My old Guzzi Quota has shaft drive, but a conventional design, using a normal swingarm
with an axle supporting the wheel. I think the new fashion of a single sided swingarm is the problem.
A few years ago we had a Guzzi meet in Croatia and a Guzzi Stelvio owner's bike developed an oil leak, which turned into a grumbling and then bearing failure.
We looked at getting the bike to Italy for repair, but decided to have it recovered and shipped home and the owner and partner had to fly back home too.
The Stelvio has a single sided swingarm as well. :crazy:
I see Guzzi's latest Adventure bike the V85 has a conventional swingarm. :roll:
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:41 pm

The Suzuki GS850/1000 unit, also used on the Intruders, VX800, GSX1100G and other models never had a single problem, and as far as I`m aware they never ever went wrong, so it can be done. I think you are right about the single sided swinger being the problem Dave.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Chris1215 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:57 pm

TEX-REAR-HUB-CUTDemo.jpg
ti0212022076.gif

This is the only info I can get. I'm going ride the bike for a bit see how it develops. Keeping a close eye that any oil dosnt spread to the back wheel. I havnt got a big run planned to September. I'm also looking at part x the bike back to triumph. It's a shame iv not managed to find a big to keep me on the road why I sort the explorer out. I may have to put the old Daytona back on the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Postby Chris1215 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:01 pm

The oil gathers in the rubber boot.
And as you say the single sided arm could be part of the problem. I put 70000miles on my old xs 750 as a ham fisted youth and never had a problem with the shaft drive. Despite my very poor efforts of pulling wheelies
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Return to Other Bikes