xt660z advice anyone???

For any bike that doesn't have its own forum.

xt660z advice anyone???

Postby DRTT » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Told just before Xmas that I could well be losing my job............. Bummer big time,
So gonna have to trim the herd, gonna sell my DRZ and Tiger955i, but need somthing with good fuel consumption & range. Have sat on a new 660 Tenere and it feels just right for me may have to raise it a bit but looks like it will tick all the boxes but don't know anyone that has one, soo could do with a bit of advice or any experience from an owner. Will be keeping my DR800 so the XT will be used to commute & light off road forestry tracks.
Need to know of any pitfalls, probs etc. Thinking of going for new..................
Any comments info much appreciated,
Pads
DRTT

Re: xt660z advice anyone???

Postby nug » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your possible job loss Paddy, this recession is still biting despite the crap the government come out with. I am glad I don't have to worry about things like that as I already have bugger all work & sod all cash ;) Glad to hear the 800 is staying though.
I am sure Spen will pop up soon & comment on the XT as he has one. Our official OTT trip interpretor (Gary) had one up until recently & he liked it lots although he has gone back to his old school XTZ 750 to fit in with our Big's :lol: .
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Longman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Bad news Paddy. I worry about my job at the moment.

The mate I bought the tiger 955i from just bought a 1 year old 660 Ten and so far is loving it. I'm sure you could have a word with him. Let me know if this may help. I'll give him a call :tup:

Good luck with the job hunt.

Rob.
Longman

Postby spendango » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Ok Paddy what do you want to know , i have a 2009 XT660Z.
spendango

Postby H_Lime » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry to hear that Paddy, really hope the news improves for ye mate ;) Best of luck with the Ten, would love one myself.
H_Lime

Postby DRTT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am

Thank Guys for all your comments, much appreciated.

Spen,
Whats the real life tank range??
Any good off road?
Mods needed,
Weak points, etc
Have heard some people mention that they are heavy, but after a succession of GS's & The Big I don't think I'll find it heavy.
Cheers,
Paddy
DRTT

Postby spendango » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am

Whats the real life tank range?? 250 ish
Any good off road? haven"t had mine off road ,not to many lanes around here
Mods needed, Where do you start ? Def an adventure spec sump guard (£200),this protects the water pump which sits right out and would be taken off easily in a fall ,set of after market cans(£300)
Weak points, etc Reg/Rec connector block ,poor connection which genereates heat and fries the block,i hard wired a 600 fazer one in no connector block no probs ,an easy fix.seat is not great you sit in a dip which pushes you into the tank ,puts your balls up to your waist after a while,i rode mine 330 miles with one 20 minute stop for fuel,wasn"t unbearable but you will notice it,easy fix get the seat repadded or your balls removed :lol: i would say it"s comfy for 150 miles or so in one run without a stop.
Have heard some people mention that they are heavy, but after a succession of GS's & The Big I don't think I'll find it heavy. It feels like a 125 after getting off the 1150 GS .light ,handles well and fantastic brakes ,the front is one of the best on any bike i have owned.
Build quility is ok ,the spokes will rust ,the rear cush drive will go,but they are a great bike this is my 3rd water cooled XT ,great going and easy on fuel.I have loads of mods on mine,fat footpegs,fat bars with risers,MTC carbon oval cans,power commander,k&n filter,sump guard,panniers,headlight protector,battery monitor the list goes on and on .If i was looking a 600 /700 cc single i would go for the Yamaha ,it has more positives than negatives.If you look after it , theres no problem one guy on the XT site has over 60k on his. :tup: Any thing else just ask ,if you where closer i would lend you mine for a day ;)
spendango

Postby DRTT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Cheers Spen,
much appreciated, gonna arrange a test with the dealer,
sounds like a great all rounder which is what I'm after, had an old xt600 e a few years ago when in Holland just wanted a real opinion as ride reports are a bit fabricated. Thanks for the offer but will be back in the home province this year so would be gr8 to have a ride n a beer if ur up for it,
again big thanks,
:clap: Paddy
DRTT

Postby nug » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Spen, whats your opinion on the pro's / con's between the XT & the Big ? I like the XT lots but that seat is what would put me off one as I tend to move around a fair bit on long journeys (fat arse) so could never live with a step seat like that.
nug

Postby spendango » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 am

The seat is SHITE ,The Xt is a smoother bike to ride hardly any Vibes although the early bikes gave trouble with the fuel injection being lumpy at low speed.The brakes are better than the BIG ,Def lighter aswell.The XT would sit at a higher speed more comfortably than the DR,my BIG always feels like it needs another gear around 75/80 mph were as the XT sits nicely around 80mph.I have to say i wouldn"t choose one over the other for a long trip.Both have great tank range and are equally as fun to ride.I think that says alot for the BIG as it"s able to hold it"s own against a modern machine.
spendango

Next

Return to Other Bikes