Orible Onda...

For any bike that doesn't have its own forum.

Orible Onda...

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Seeing as how my attempt to find time to re fit Daves engine fell flat over my wk off I thought I'd bore yiz with pictars of work i did to the blackbird lately.

Wasn't keen on changing perfect stock carburation but hey for a full ti moriwaki I can be convinced ;)
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Orible Onda...

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Lovely welds!!
Last edited by H_Lime on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Cropped up on eBay with no but it now and intrestingly was supposedly on David Hancocks bird before being shortly removed and put back in its box. Seller had links to Honda and wanted it gone.

In my eagerness it open it I ripped off the tape and half of our Daves name. Seems he was telling the truth.
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Anyway, ordered the studs and gaskets and removed the boat anchor, Christ it's heavy! !
Studs came away easy enough and on she went assembled rather than headers backwards. Ti systems run tight clearences on the pipe joinings so it's the only way I could do it.

Tools used

H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Clearance to the sump and fairings to prevent viabration/melting respectively was a concern but moriwaki supplies accurately machined brackets to guide you. Also the centre stand is retained with a terribly groovy piece that relocate the stop and filter/sump access is perfect! That's nice!
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:27 pm

To be sure i coated the interior of the fairing with a glass fibre silver heat reflective tape, thick stuff over a mill thick.

On part throttle only ok. Everywhere else crazy bananas lol. Waaay more power.

Looks well I reckon. In a world of bullshit stumpy cans with poor materials and design this stands out as a no nonsense well thought out bit of engineering. Well to me it does.

So fast forward a bit and here we are at my perferred dyno house

Couple dyno runs show a happy bike at mid and wot but a stinky pig at part and idle. Carbs super easy to pull out unlike the DR. Dyno dude works his magic and reassemble, synch and mixture adjust. Liked the way he laser heat scoped each header and adjusted thereafter.
Also of note was the fact I couldn't get a balance with my newly acquired Morgan carb tune.

Dunk man had a go and after a fiddle his ear told him harmonious balance was achieved even if Morgana said no. He hooked up his uber expensive electronic carb sync and checked and yep he was cock on. Experience eh!
Mine is the newer variety with metal cylinders rather than good ol mercury. Stiction I reckon.

His electronic kit can check for sticky valves and or clearance issues and all came back good. Tank back on and back onto the dyno only to have the bloody Dunlop cry his laptop yet again as they don't have an earth strip like most tyres and the dyno builds huuuge static which kept shocking him and his laptop every time he sampled lol. Reboot and earthing cable attached to the peg and away we went.

This time shebsettled evenly on idle and seemed even far more interested in shooting to the red line.

Baseline for a bird on his 250i is 132 horse (yep its a mean dyno). He was delighted with that and declared it "exceptional". He doesnt say muchtgis dude so that was a shock.
Test ride had her lifting with less provocation than I'm used to. Midrange is huge now and the top end rush is mental.

Overall I'm delighted with it now. I wasn't happy to bolt on and leave it at that and now she's fettled the whole bike feels alive and crisp:)
Overall there was over a 15kg weight saving too iirc and handling is markedly improved especailly in tighter fast turns. Show easy to put on the centre stand too now.

Anyway, all I have to do now is wait for spring:(
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Oh yeah nearly forgot....check out the colour of the headers now post dyno red lining runs hehe

H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:05 am

I had the previous model to yours, the CBR1000F model of 1991 vintage. Not as pretty or as powerful but very much along the same lines.
I found when I ditched the original headers and went for a s/steel Nexxus system that the headers were a bigger diameter, and like you I gained about 10 horses.
iirc Honda claimed 135bhp though about 120 at the rear wheel was normal. Losing about 10kg of mild steel also helped.
On my original 1986 GSXR750, which was a claimed 100 bhp though I got only 68 at the back wheel on the dyno, the downpipes were really skinny.
A very expensive Yoshi system with much bigger headers released 105 horses and it absolutely howled like a banshee.Pissed off the neighbours too :lol:
If my wife ever found out how much I paid for it I was a dead man, thankfully she never did.
I didn`t know Moriwaki were still going; do they make a system for the Big?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:08 pm

BigBob wrote:I had the previous model to yours, the CBR1000F model of 1991 vintage. Not as pretty or as powerful but very much along the same lines.
I found when I ditched the original headers and went for a s/steel Nexxus system that the headers were a bigger diameter, and like you I gained about 10 horses.
iirc Honda claimed 135bhp though about 120 at the rear wheel was normal. Losing about 10kg of mild steel also helped.
On my original 1986 GSXR750, which was a claimed 100 bhp though I got only 68 at the back wheel on the dyno, the downpipes were really skinny.
A very expensive Yoshi system with much bigger headers released 105 horses and it absolutely howled like a banshee.Pissed off the neighbours too :lol:
If my wife ever found out how much I paid for it I was a dead man, thankfully she never did.
I didn`t know Moriwaki were still going; do they make a system for the Big?

Wives need to learn that to a lesser extent the same is true in reverse of "happy wife happy life":lol:
Friend of mine had the 1000f and I liked it. Way more comfy than a bird and with nearly the same power characteristics from low to mid, which is let's face it where we spend most of our time on road with a litre+ four. Only thing I wasn't happy with was a vague front and a feeling you couldn't hustle her past the pace she wanted to keep. Correction, I couldn't hustle her I'm sure the more talented could and did...

Think your right though there is good usable gains to be had (particularly in hondas) in bikes of this gen. Standard hondas used to always be quite rich from the box and low to midrange transition which means an inevitable flat spot or even dip. My example was no exception and even fi later models still persisted with this. Pain in the arse to spoil the torque curve in an otherwise faultless delivery.

But yeah mister Moriwaki and dyno dood have filled in the dips nicely and swelled the rest right up. Had a very early cold and crisp morning motorway run there to ahhh, let's say investigate the delivery and both needles whip right round almost in unison lol.

Mpg will inevitably be down but by how much I'm not sure. I kept induction entirely stock and the beast was rich to begin with so who knows, a tank will tell.
Sound is very acceptable. More bass at idle and low to mid but not obnoxious. Quietest system on a bike like this I've encountered. Lad down the way has a set of blue flame cans on stock headers and it's way louder.

Surprised the gixer made shy of 70 horses! Had it in my head they were making more but you couldn't argue with your results, enermous gains there.
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:55 am

Tosser bots! :roll:
H_Lime

Next

Return to Other Bikes