Royal Enfield 500

For any bike that doesn't have its own forum.

Re: Royal Enfield 500

Postby nug » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Didn't realise Hannibal Lector could make pistons :crazy:

I am guessing you mean Burt Munro?

I had a look at one of those Royal Oilfield incontinental GT's today whilst I was at Skegness beach race, Nice looking bike. You would never imagine that it was built by men in sandals.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 pm

You have ruined that film for me now. ;)

I saw a documentary on youtube about them they sent Indians to the factory to work as apprentices then sent all the machinery and tools over and they started building them to the same design.

https://youtu.be/kAFheyFew3A

Oh well my balancer chain and guide should arrive at work tomorrow for the Big so I can start rebuilding. :)
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Let the rebuild begin :tup:
nug

Postby GrahamW » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am

I have not been on here for ages as ended up buying an early 90s Bullet 500 with right hand shift and kick start only its been great fun to ride around the b roads and lanes around the South Downs. The one I got needed alot of work to get road worthy enough for me to feel safe on it even though the ebay listing said it was in great nick so I have spent the year spending money on it and tinkering with it and also fixing up my Honda VTX 1800 which is now also back on the road after getting the tank fixed and resprayed. It was great getting back into biking again after my accident on an old style right hand shift bike. Now it's winter and the weekends have been wet I have not been out on the bikes as much but keep seeing the DR800 in the corner of the garage and am wanting to hear its thump once again and ride it. ;)

I dont think there is much to do now but still procrastinating about the wear mark in my cylinder, I think I should just get it back together and go from there I just need some more motivation to put ht cylinder head on and get the engine back in the bike. I also need to do something about the 7mm bolt that goes through the cylinder block at the very front of the engine to hold the cylinder down as it had an earlier helicoil repair which I have stripped again. I think I need to somehow use a longer bolt and a nut on the bottom but its hard to find a long 7mm bolt. Hopefully I can give it some time in the garage over the christmas break.

GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Other Bikes