VSTROM Gets new Knickers

For any bike that doesn't have its own forum.

Re: VSTROM Gets new Knickers

Postby Dr Mabuse » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Like most of you, regarding new bikes, can't say I'm impressed by anything much really. All too expensive, big, wide, heavy and often unusably overly powerful.

I sat upon the Yamaha T7 and liked the ergonomics seems the best practical trailie I'd consider if buying new.

I sold my Pan 1300 and it was lovely and best big tourer if had. But, I'm now looking for another late Deauville 700. I've bought two from new and probably the most versatile bike I've owned. I always thought if they had a little more power (overtake like a Pan!), a six speed box and upgraded suspension it'd be fantastic.

I prefer a bike whereupon you can use most of its performance rather than an over powered and complex one. And, I think they're all an expensive reliability time bomb ticking away..

Could anyone graft a Deauville shaft drive to my Africa Twin. I'm serious, I'd pay someone whom could do it! Within reason...
Dr Mabuse
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby nug » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Could anyone graft a Deauville shaft drive to my Africa Twin. I'm serious, I'd pay someone whom could do it! Within reason..

Would be alot of work. Are you wanting to use the Dullville motor as well?
nug

Postby dave#22 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:00 am

Why not go for the old Honda XLV 750...V twin, air cooled, shaft drive, carbs.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DJpLEQcpX8aCYc2U8

There was one for sale at Colwyn Bay motorcycles last month.

How unusual, same spec as my Guzzi Quota....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/brpTBaeQtP6CoQ446

Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby Dr Mabuse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi lads - don't want to hijack your initial post Nug but here's what I considered...

About five years ago in at the Honda dealer there was a Deauville (cast wheels), Transalp and Shadow (both wire wheels) together. I noticed the wire wheeled Shadow had the Shaft drive shock absorber hub assembly. I was curious why the Deauville had a lug cast on the hub but unused. Then I wondered if the 700 engine and drive assembly would bolt on to a 700 Transalp then forgot about it!

So I wonder if I got a late 700 Transalp and a donor final drive from a Shadow could it possibly be a straight forward bolt on conversion? I'd be out of my depth to take on such a job myself. Seems easy enough after a few beers consumed.

I was tempted to take a punt at an XLV in Wexford last year but, upon research it appears to be a weak drive train & top end with spares near impossible to obtain. I wonder why Honda or indeed nobody else produce a middleweight shaft drive Trailie (besides Guzzi)? It'd be a big seller if reasonably priced....
Dr Mabuse

Postby dave#22 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:54 pm

...... I wonder why Honda or indeed nobody else produce a middleweight shaft drive Trailie (besides Guzzi)? It'd be a big seller if reasonably priced......

Well, the new Guzzi V85TT appears to have taken the market by storm, the order books are full and they can't meet the demand...other manufacturers should take note.
It is a pity that the major manufacturers seem intent on trying to outdo each other by making bikes bigger, more powerful, more electronics...is that what buyers want???
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 pm

All interesting stuff and worth further investigation. Personally I don't really like the directness of a shaft drive. That said, I have only ever ridden other people's shaft drive bikes. Not owned one as I am into more off road biased stuff.
nug

Postby dave#22 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 am

The shaft drive is great for touring, the old Guzzi system is simple, the more modern ones are complex and not as reliable, a friend with a Stelvio has had two wheel bearing failures with the single sided swingarm...in fact the second was at a meeting in Croatia and he eventually got the bike recovered to England and he and his partner had to fly home. :tdown:
We toured Norway a few years ago on the Guzzi and we stopped at an Hostel overnight and in the morning, going over for breakfast, there was a Swiss lad trying to adjust the chain on his VFR 750. He had the tools out and the handbook, but couldn't make any sense of it.
I said if you're still here after breakfast, I'll have a look. 1/2hr later he was still there, so I adjusted it for him, the chain and sprockets were knackered and should have been replaced before he left home. :roll:
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:28 am

The V85 looks like an eminently sensible all rounder that will do everything, and not too hi tech either.
On the subject of shaft drives, I had several GS850s over a 23 year period and toured all over Europe on them with the wife and the shaft drive never gave me any cause for concern in all those years. In fact, I talked to the head of Suzuki technical some years ago, and he confirmed they had never sold any rear hub components ever as they were so reliable.
They used the same rear hub in the VX800 and all the Intruders and are still using it in the VS/VX/VZ range to this day.
The downside was that it was far to bloody heavy and over engineered and did adversely affect the handling, though the GS850 was hardly a nimble lightweight in the first place.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 am

I am surprised that chains and shafts are still in use. Thought everything was bluetooth these days :think:
nug

Postby BigBob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 am

Whatever happened to belt drive?
As far as I know Suzuki only ever used it on the inappropriately named Savage.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Bikes