Dual headlight conversion bulbs

Non bike specific questions

Dual headlight conversion bulbs

Postby GrahamW » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi my Big has dual headlights and a bulb has gone. They are funny old bulbs s3 marked on the housing which seem to be P26S however P26s are 12v 15w and my bulbs are marked 25W. I have found a replacement ring 20w bulb on ebay no 25w ones however my mate reckons over 125cc its illegal to have less than 50w.

I have seen these though on ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3154697047

Any ideas I was thinking of sticking in the 20w replacement for the MOT and getting the LED ones later, does anyone know anything about the dual headlight conversion I have is it a Hessler thing? I have seen pics of other bigs with the same.

My normal MOT guy I use lately who does cars to is a bit anal about headlight alignment so I will have to the place a bit further that all the old bikes seem to go to.

GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Re: Dual headlight conversion bulbs

Postby BigBob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Can`t you stick the OE headlight in for the MOT?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:46 pm

I don't have one Bob the bike came to me like that. I don’t know if the hardware is still there to attach an oem one anymore either as I suspect things have been modified to take those lamps.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 pm

The new bulbs will be much better but you`ll have to wait till they come from China.
I think I would get an OE headlight and install a nighteye which are really good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-H7- ... SwdFZcnGTp
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:15 am

I have a H4 bulb very similar to that night eye on my Honda but went for a yellow LED one instead of white and it really stands out. I like the look of that dual conversion with led bulbs it will probably be ok also I am going to mount spots to crash bars.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 am

Looking at the MOT history of my bike it failed back in 2009 for a lot of things including headlights then a month later it passed with the advisory "No lights fitted at time of test" which means daylight MOT. The previous owner on here in his posts said he fitted the indicators that are on there now then it passed an MOT with the dual headlights, I took it for an MOT with them as well and it passed ok so I guess it is down to how strict the tester is. The lamps are E marked and have reflectors built in to create a beam pattern but the bulbs are just not very bright but then my Royal Enfield passes and the headlight on that looks like it has a candle in there when on low beam and not much better on high.

As soon as my bulb arrives I am going to book an MOT there is a place less than a mile away that I have taken my bikes to recently but they do cars as well they are ok but the tester is funny about headlight aim always mentions it every time I have been in there and got a tenner for adjusting it last time. The other place is about 10 miles away (living on the coast means greater distance between places) and if the bike fails I think riding back home again is a bit dodgy nowadays where I would get away with getting back from the close garage. I guess I could say I am riding home to carry out repairs otherwise what is the option, leave the bike there and prepare to bend over or get it taken back in a van or on a trailer.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby Chris1215 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm sure you are allowed to ride home again with a fail slip. As long as its not a danger to yourself or other road users. ie no brakes or such like. As long as the mot station has your reg you go directly home and your insuranced. So if its a bulb and daytime you should be fine.
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:39 am

I am going to book it in for Tomorrow at the local place, the bike did pass before with the things that might be slightly dodgy namely the headlight conversion and the rear number plate being bolted to the mud guard so its at quite an angle. I have fitted the replacement bulb and both headlights are now working ok looking at them they don't seem to have a beam pattern that points left or right the pattern in the 'glass' is uniform along the horizontal. I guess I will just have to put it in and find out.

Its annoying to only be able to ride the bike 10 meters down the driveway to bring the brakes up ;)
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 am

Well thats that idea scuppered two week wait at my local place for bike MOT.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

Managed to get it into the further away place for Saturday Morning so that's a bit of a result but about 10 miles.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Return to General Techie Stuff