Plastic fuel tank repair

Non bike specific questions

Plastic fuel tank repair

Postby jamminbmx » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am

Hi guys...random one...

I have a plastic petrol tank on my KLR 650. Its an IMS polyethylene tank and has a crack.

Any ideas how to fix it? I guess the petrol will stop Epoxy etc sticking?

Cheers!

Ben :eh:
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Re: Plastic fuel tank repair

Postby BigBob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:46 pm

You`ll need a hot air gun and polyethylene welding strips to do the job.
Best check if there`s a business in your area that does it professionally as you wouldn`t want it to leak petrol over a hot engine. :o
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:08 pm

You can get a repair putty for repairing car fuel tanks. I have used it in the past with great results. As bob said, it would be best to plastic weld it or get a pro to do it. You could ask at your local bodyshop as they usually have the kit to do it but most likely won't have the filler rod for it. You may be able to wing it buy trimming of an excess part of the tank like the mounting lugs or maybe inside the cap if it has some flashing left behind. Is it a big crack? It may be risky using a repair putty on it due to the vibes and flexing etc.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby jamminbmx » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Cheers guys!

Nug - have you mended plastic tanks with putty? Or metal ones?
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Have mended plastic car tanks successfully with the epoxy putty kits and more recently I repaired my plastic heating oil tank as well. Plenty of decent brand products out there so you should be able to find something suitable if you want to give it a go.
nug

Postby jamminbmx » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:35 am

Cheers Nug!

Hate to be asking waaay more questions than I answer on here but...any brands you can recommend? The internet is a big and confusing place! Cheers!
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:33 pm

I was thinking about those tanks the other day as when I had my KLR650 I was looking at that tank as I had problems with my original tank weaping at the seam. The problem with them plastic ones is they are milk bottle white and you cant paint them as they are porous or that was what I was lead to believe. How do you think they would fare in a drop?
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby jamminbmx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am

Graham - The IMS tank instructions say that it should not be painted. They come in a bunch of colours if you order from USA. Only thing is they are designed for a KLR650A and I have the KLR650C version so the seat doesnt quite fit as the sub frame is different. Bolts on perfectly though.

The white one discolours with fuel and ends up looking a bit crap but doesnt bother me. You can see the fuel level which I find super handy!

I've dropped mine several times off road and no damage. Also acts as a radiator guard to stop that getting ripped off. Not sure what tarmac would do though!

It's just got some surface cracks maybe due to age (10 years) which have not gone through but I want to be ready if they do! Hence a tube of putty in my tool kit would set mind at ease! Cheers!
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Hate to be asking waaay more questions than I answer on here but...any brands you can recommend? The internet is a big and confusing place! Cheers!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quiksteel-Plastic-Tank-Repair-Kit-Leaking-Tank-and-fuel-Tank/183934887127?hash=item2ad35fa4d7:g:HUEAAOSwa39UuAJx

Pretty sure this is the one I used a while back on a Corsa plastic tank which had a small puncture in the bottom. It has a sealer which you rub into the hole which stops the leak. You can then use the putty to repair over the top. It worked well and I never heard anymore from the owner. That said, it may have leaked and burst into flames :lol:
nug

Return to General Techie Stuff