Exploding bike

Non bike specific questions

Re: Exploding bike

Postby Evildent_resi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:51 am

Something about a Mefo Stonemaster comparing to a Heidenau K74...
Stonemaster is what the name says. Nothing less. Unfortunately nothing more...
Really great on muddy/stony ground, but if you want to take a real exciting ride, go ride 'em on wet tarmac :wtf:
K74 slightly better and less noisy. Not a real road racer on wet tarmac, but better than Stonemaster with an excellent handling.
AFAIK Stonemaster has "harder" rubber mixture.

On my SR43 currently a Heidenau K60 Scout M+S in 140/80-17 is mounted...
Pretty good, even for french gravel :wave: The first kms were slippery on wet streets, but now, after 2000kms it's okay.

Sepp (you remember?) used on his SR43 VeeRubber in a similar shape than Heidenau K60 (without Scout!),
it took about 5000km to burn it down... with a wet tarmac handling like driving on a slippery muddy path.

Cheers,
Lars
Evildent_resi
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:08 pm

As I do a lot of riding on wet tarmac I think I`ll give the Heidenau and Mefo a miss then.
I think I`ll stick with TW301 and 302 as they are brilliant wet or dry and good enough for the limited off roading I do.
Apparently they dont grip in gravel going backwards :crazy:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby knobblywobbly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:31 pm

The Heidenau K60's I had (briefly) on my Africa twin were absolute and utter shite. No better than the Wingwang no-grip specials of the 1970's, I wouldn't have another pair of Heidenaus if they came with a free bike attached!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How much is the fish?
knobblywobbly
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm

could have been the bike you were on :shock:
spendango

Postby nug » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:54 pm

My rear K60 was fine once scrubbed in & probably as good as TKC80 on dirt. The front is pants on dirt
& ok on road ...its a 20 yr old trailie not a sports bike so its good enough for me but I would prefer better off road ability as the K60 front will have you off on wet mud.
nug

Postby spendango » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Just read another thread on the ABR web site sounds similar to BOBs experience ,hopefully the guy will let us know what tube he had in the bike ,Bob i nicked part of your post and pics to highlight the problem i"m sure you wont mind , lets hope no one gets killed if it is these shite tubes
spendango

Postby BigBob » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:47 pm

:o :o
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby peagoose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Maybe you needed the new Sidi TW301 boot :)

BigBob wrote:As I do a lot of riding on wet tarmac I think I`ll give the Heidenau and Mefo a miss then.
I think I`ll stick with TW301 and 302 as they are brilliant wet or dry and good enough for the limited off roading I do.
Apparently they dont grip in gravel going backwards :crazy:
peagoose
Regular
Regular

Postby eggsontoast » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:30 am

BigBob wrote:Oh dear! mine was h/duty as well.
My bike shop sent my tube back to their supplier who agree that the tube was defective and they have passed it on to the importer who agrees it is defective and is taking up the issue with Vee Rubber in Thailand. Apparently this is not the first instance of this happening with their tubes, so there is clearly a manufacturing problem.
I`ve been reading on various bike forums recently about lots of people having sudden blow-outs where the inner tube has just disintegrated for no obvious reason, so it`s possible that Vee Rubber are responsible for a lot of injuries and trashed bikes, who knows?
Going by the principle that the Japanese generally make good quality items, I`ll be getting some Bridgestone tubes to replace all my others, even though they are very expensive. After all, how much is your life worth?
I`ve never had a bad Bridgestone tyre: in fact, they have all been excellent.
Take care out there Lars :tup:

Had the same thing happen but on the front at 70mph, banked over, wet and dark: saved it and my life. :twisted:

Michelin do a HD tube which is very thick and durable, much more commonly available than the Bridgestones I find.

PAT
eggsontoast

Previous

Return to General Techie Stuff