Exploding bike

Non bike specific questions

Exploding bike

Postby BigBob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Riding along at a sedate 40-45 ish the other night along a country lane I was virtually launched off the bike with no warning.
The first I knew of it was when the bike snapped one way through 90 degrees, then 180 degrees in the opposite direction, then 180 back the other way before my extremely long legs/stabilisers brought the old girl under some sort of control, though I was still all over the road.
The guy in the car following nearly shat himself at my antics and almost ran over me, though I`ve clearly lived to tell the tale.
I`ve had countless puntures in my time, but none like this. Instant deflation from the rear end with no warning at all.
This was no ordinary punture, but the valve delaminating/debonding from the tube in an instant.
Could be worse I guess, and I could have been smeared all over the motorway.
The tube was less than a year old and made in Thailand by Vee Rubber.
Fortunately, my local dealer is one of the good guys and has sent it back to the importer for evaluation as this is not the first one he`s seen like this.
In the meantime he won`t be selling any more of these, and replaced it for me with a h/duty Continental...........made in India!
You can see where the valve and part of the tube have just come apart

The last item I bought that came from Thailand was brake seals, and they failed within a couple of weeks leaving me with no rear brake in France for a week which really wasn`t much fun. Needless to say, Thailand has been added to my "not buying from" list along with China, HK and Taiwan. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Re: Exploding bike

Postby nug » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Remind me not to follow you on our next trip Bob....

Seriously though, that it proper shit ! I have never had that happen to me ever nor have I even heard of it happening. The nearest to that I know of is when you get tyre slip when running low pressure but then it rips the valve out of the tube .
Glad you lived to tell the tale old bean :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby zappa.suzuki » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 pm

the bike snapped one way through 90 degrees, then 180 degrees in the opposite direction, then 180 back the other way

I now that feeling, got my share of nails in the back tire and a litle ago on the highway at 120km :crazy:

Glad that you'r okay! 8-)
zappa.suzuki

Postby volksnut » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 am

Bob i think u should change your name to :roll: "LUCKY BOB" ,this brings me onto whether or not anyone has tried any form of tube puncture sealant ,although i realise that any amount of the same would not have saved yourrr tube !!! ,any of u guys tried anything!!
volksnut
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:40 am

If I was lucky it wouldn`t have happened at all. However..................
Shame they dont make these for a 17 inch rim http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/m ... s-benefits
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 am

Mouses are a great but they will overheat on the road at prolonged high speed which results in them desintegrating ... (probably on a French motorway). there is another type which involves stuffing balls in the tire
http://www.tireballs.com/
nug

Postby zappa.suzuki » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 am

i use https://www.google.nl/search?q=heavy+du ... =firefox-a they won't stop a nail bud they are better than those Bob had ;)
zappa.suzuki

Postby peagoose » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Bloody eck mate!! you do have some issues with yer back end these days :crazy:
Glad your ok,

BigBob wrote:Riding along at a sedate 40-45 ish the other night along a country lane I was virtually launched off the bike with no warning.
The first I knew of it was when the bike snapped one way through 90 degrees, then 180 degrees in the opposite direction, then 180 back the other way before my extremely long legs/stabilisers brought the old girl under some sort of control, though I was still all over the road.
The guy in the car following nearly shat himself at my antics and almost ran over me, though I`ve clearly lived to tell the tale.
I`ve had countless puntures in my time, but none like this. Instant deflation from the rear end with no warning at all.
This was no ordinary punture, but the valve delaminating/debonding from the tube in an instant.
Could be worse I guess, and I could have been smeared all over the motorway.
The tube was less than a year old and made in Thailand by Vee Rubber.
Fortunately, my local dealer is one of the good guys and has sent it back to the importer for evaluation as this is not the first one he`s seen like this.
In the meantime he won`t be selling any more of these, and replaced it for me with a h/duty Continental...........made in India!
You can see where the valve and part of the tube have just come apart

The last item I bought that came from Thailand was brake seals, and they failed within a couple of weeks leaving me with no rear brake in France for a week which really wasn`t much fun. Needless to say, Thailand has been added to my "not buying from" list along with China, HK and Taiwan. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
peagoose
Regular
Regular

Postby Evildent_resi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Erm, just mounted Heidenau K74 / K69 for some garden work on my SR41 with (guess what?!) vee-rubber tubes... :wtf: :lolno:
But I used the ultra-high-duty (so called :crazy: ), the valve part looks different than the road legal ones...

I keep in mind what happened..

Cheers,
Lars
Evildent_resi

Postby BigBob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:32 am

Oh dear! mine was h/duty as well.
My bike shop sent my tube back to their supplier who agree that the tube was defective and they have passed it on to the importer who agrees it is defective and is taking up the issue with Vee Rubber in Thailand. Apparently this is not the first instance of this happening with their tubes, so there is clearly a manufacturing problem.
I`ve been reading on various bike forums recently about lots of people having sudden blow-outs where the inner tube has just disintegrated for no obvious reason, so it`s possible that Vee Rubber are responsible for a lot of injuries and trashed bikes, who knows?
Going by the principle that the Japanese generally make good quality items, I`ll be getting some Bridgestone tubes to replace all my others, even though they are very expensive. After all, how much is your life worth?
I`ve never had a bad Bridgestone tyre: in fact, they have all been excellent.
Take care out there Lars :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to General Techie Stuff