This is scary

Non bike specific questions

This is scary

Postby BigBob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Two years ago I got a front wheel puncture which is never a good idea.
Getting it in a remote part of France on a sunday afternoon when you are hurrying back to Calais to catch a ferry is definitely not a good idea.
I was in luck as I was with Nug and Dave T, one of whom had a can of slime and the other a compressor. :tup:
Also lucky as it was caused by a very small piece of flint from off roading and it only made a very small hole.
So ten minutes later I was on my way and made the ferry and made it home. So far so good.
The next day I changed the front tube, even though the tyre was holding up well with the green gloop in it, just to be safe.
I was tempted to put some slime in it as a preventive precaution but decided against it.
The old tube was put on a shelf as a spare should I be needing it one day.
Well, today I was tidying up and found the tube in a desperately bad way.
Clearly the slime has reacted with the tube which has cracked in many places and almost looks like it`s been eaten.
It would seem that leaving this stuff in your tyre is a seriously bad idea as one day it will disintegrate.
You have been warned
SN853517.JPG

SN853516.JPG

SN853515.JPG

SN853514.JPG

SN853513.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Re: This is scary

Postby Gaz800 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:06 pm

:o That's not good, I know folk who swear by using tyre slime and say it's the dogs danglies etc, definitely great for a get you home measure, but after seeing those pictures, I'd certainly not be using it as a permanent feature in the tubes :wtf:
Gaz800
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby nug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Thats Bad Bob. Are you sure its not those shitty tubes you bought off the Afghan National Army Motorcycle display team (The Fetid Helmets) ?

I have OKO in my tubes which has been in over a year. They were fine last tyre change but will swap the front again soon & check them again. Slime is just a mix of water Latex & rubber particles so nothing aggressive in there. Modern tubes seem to be made of something other than pure rubber. they smell & feel weird. I have had trouble sticking patches on them on more than one occasion.

The Fetid helmets at the start of another impressive display of two wheel stunts. On board of the high power machine are Mohammed, Mohammed, Abdul, & his younger brother Mohammed. Rider (Mohammed) shows extreme cool as he finds time to make a call on his mobile (as he has done so many times before).

blog_2_image_4.jpg

Unfortunately, Mohammed (rider) forgot that the IED was in Abdul's (sitting behind Mohammed (rider) & Mohammed, but in front of Mohammed) pocket. This unfortunately bought the otherwise impressive display to a premature end & devastated a nearby fruit & Veg stall.

20150425_blp907.jpg

Local business owner & weapons supplier Akbar from Akbars Auto's & Interior furnishings looks on at the wreckage to see if there is anything he can turn a few quid on.

511467297.jpg

Luckily for Mohammed (rider), the blast was absorbed by Mohammed & Mohammed meaning Mohammed (rider) got away with shrapnel wounds & a scorched Dishdash. Following a long uncomfortable flight to the UK, Mohammed (rider) made a full recovery thanks to the wonderful NHS & now resides in a 5 bedroom House in a leafy North London suburb (Wood Green).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nug on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nug

Postby dave#22 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:27 pm

:clap: ....love it....not very pc though... :lol:

I've been using Ultraseal in the bikes for years and never seen a rotted tube. I use slime in my bicycle tubes and likewise.
It does work. I was cycling on the canal tow path at night when I heard a tick tick tick from the front wheel as it passed the mudguard, I stopped and a huge thorn was sticking out, so I pulled it out and pssss, so I jumped on and pedaled like ****. We stopped a few miles later and the tyre was still up :clap: so the following day I took the tube out and found three holes that had been sealed....new tube and more slime.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:41 pm

I don't understand PC. I do know humour is a tonic though :tup:
nug

Postby BigBob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:55 pm

I can`t understand why the tube has disintegrated like that but it sure wouldn`t be funny if it happened at speed.
Also, the green slime has turned into big solid lumps like turds.
From now on slime is just a getyouhome device
Don`t worry about being pc, if the moozlims don`t like it they can go to another forum like www.camelshagger.com
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Gaz800 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:09 pm

Nug.... Fecking brilliant lol lol lol lol lol lol
Gaz800

Postby nug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 pm

I would hate to upset anybody with my warped humour so its good to know that you don't care :tup:

I have heard that slime dehydrates over time so given the fact that the tube is like Rab Nesbitt's vest, its no surprise. As you say Bob, certainly good to get you home mate. Especially when you ride through roadworks :tup:
nug

Postby spendango » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:55 pm

Just pissed myself :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
spendango

Postby nug » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Glad you too have a good sense of humour Spen. Now. I dare you to copy & paste it onto adventurbikerider.com :clap:

It would be like Bashing a beehive :tup:
nug

Next

Return to General Techie Stuff