Moly Paste

Non bike specific questions

Moly Paste

Postby GrahamW » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:55 pm

I have been reading the service manual and it says that when I put the piston back on I should use suzuki moly paste on the pin and also on cam journals and cams. Is this necessary? I like the idea of using it if it will help especially on the top end bearing as mine had a bit of surface rust in the bottom from sitting in the garage which i had to remove with a bit of steel wool and wd40.

I was just looking at the cylinder head as have all my parts wrapped on plastic bags in a storage box as was reading about an oil pipe that gets lost. I think mine is on the hole where the oil pipe screws on as can see it in there. Everything looks in good condition as it had oil on when I wrapped it up in bags and storage box has kept everything dry.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Re: Moly Paste

Postby BigBob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm

I`ve never bothered with moly paste and just use engine oil. It`s only for the first few seconds of start up anyway.
As for the oil feed pipe on the cylinder head........ definitely make sure it`s there as it falls out very easily.
I once got distracted and forgot to put it back in and my cams and followers were slaughtered within a hundred miles :(
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks Bob I will just coat everything in fresh engine oil and not bother with the Moly. :tup:
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 am

Hi

I am getting confused by this oil pipe after going out and checking the head again, as what I thought was the pipe looks like a threaded liner. I carefully put a pair of circlip pliars in to see if I could pull it out but it doesnt move.

Is this where the pipe is meant to live?

IMAG0329~01.jpg

I dont understand why there is a thread in there if the oil feed is connected by the two screws either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Its most likely to restrict the flow of oil to the head. It probably helps balance the flow between the top and bottom end. Pretty sure my 750 is like that.

I just realised that this is my 3000th post... best get the beer out :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:06 pm

I am trying to work out if the pipe is in there or not maybe the thread is part of the pipe.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:11 am

Its not part of the oil pipe.
nug

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Nug do you think its possible from that photo to see if the oil pip is there or not or do I have to disassemble some parts from the head to make sure. I have never seen this pipe before and only have a picture on cmsnl to go by so cant tell if its missing or not. Congrats on 3000 posts btw ;)
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 am

Maybe the only way to be sure is to remove the oil reservoir in the head and look under it will do that I think for peace of mind.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 am

Well it is there and I cant see how it could drop out easily. :)

Have torqued the bolt holding the oil pan back down to 8nm with my torque wrench and a bit of blue loctite.

oil pipe.jpg

Any ideas on washing out the cam journals before I put the cams back in as I can see little specs etc. Was thinking of using a bit of old petrol and then reoiling, my front can joural has a bit of wear as well but it looks worse in the photo than it does to the eye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to General Techie Stuff