Moly Paste

Non bike specific questions

Re: Moly Paste

Postby BigBob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Every cylinder head I have removed (and that is quite a few) has had the oil pipe fall out without even trying.
There`s a half slot in the end of it to locate it correctly so the holes in the pipe align with the oil feed holes in the head
Can`t you pull it out by screwing a 6mm bolt in the end if only to check it`s OK?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks Bob thats a good idea about using a 6mm bolt to try and pull the pipe will have a look at it that way I can also make sure its clear.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:30 am

Regarding the cam journals.... It looks bad in the picture but if it feels ok and has no raised marks it should be fine. The cam is more important as that is the harder material. If it shows marks or damage that cant be polished out with wire wool or crocus cloth then its not good to put back in. I hope you marked the inlet and exhaust followers as they need to go back the same if you have removed them from the cam cover.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 am

Hi Nug

I think the camera flash made the bearing look worse. I had a look at the cam and that seemed fine. Its not ideal but its an old bike so it is going to have some wear. The rockers are still in the cover undisturbed. Thanks for the advice regarding the white spirit flush before I read about that I was planning to fill up with cheap oil and then dump it.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to General Techie Stuff