Fixing aluminum rear rack

Non bike specific questions

Fixing aluminum rear rack

Postby GrahamW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:37 am

Hi in the 6 weeks I owned a working DR 800 I made the foolish mistake of bolting a universal top box to the top of the luggage rack and then attempting to transport 6 bottles of real ale back from the supermarket in there.

Going over a speed bump I broke the left side bracket of my rear luggage rack.

IMAG0336~01.jpg

This seems to be aluminium or some sort of alloy, and I am not sure if it is a standard part, or something someone has fabricated. Do you think I could take that to a garage to be welded?

Thanks Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Re: Fixing aluminum rear rack

Postby nug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 pm

That my old mate is the remains of the original rack which, in true racer fashion has undergone some lightening so as not to hamper progress through the desert. Its had all the strength removed from it unfortunately so its probably best you find a decent original to replace it as welding it won't allow you to carry sufficient beverages for your needs. I have a spare one somewhere but not sure how good it is?
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Fixing aluminum rear rack

Postby GrahamW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Well it looked nice but isn't really functional and I don't tend to race through the desert. Once the bike is up and running I will be in the market for one :)
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Return to General Techie Stuff