General petrol tank dent repair

Non bike specific questions

General petrol tank dent repair

Postby GrahamW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:46 am

Hi

Not about my DR 800 but wonder if anyone on here knows about repairing dents in a bikes tank.

dent.JPG

I lost the front wheel on my Honda VTX 1800 at 50mph in the wet and the right side of the bike took a bit of a grinding and so did I. I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on repairing a dent like that? The tank seems to be double skinned and you cant get around inside of it. I have seen glue gun dent pullers on ebay but it might be worth getting a professsional job on it as new tanks are very dear any idea what it would cost?

vtx dent.JPG

Thanks Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Re: General petrol tank dent repair

Postby Haga lout » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:19 pm

GrahamW wrote:Hi

Not about my DR 800 but wonder if anyone on here knows about repairing dents in a bikes tank.

dent.JPG

I lost the front wheel on my Honda VTX 1800 at 50mph in the wet and the right side of the bike took a bit of a grinding and so did I. I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on repairing a dent like that? The tank seems to be double skinned and you cant get around inside of it. I have seen glue gun dent pullers on ebay but it might be worth getting a professsional job on it as new tanks are very dear any idea what it would cost?

vtx dent.JPG

Thanks Graham

I'd get it done professionally shame your not over here as I have a bloke that fixes stuff like that all day
Haga lout
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:05 pm

BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Chris1215 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:15 pm

That would be a lot cheeper then a repair
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks that one has a similar dent to mine although not as bad.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 pm

It would be very strange if it was doubled skinned? There are a few magic tricks for fixing dents like that but its too tight for and adhesive type pull I think. I used to have a rothenberger pin puller which which welded pins on for a slide hammer, but sold it many years ago when I got out of the panel game. Very good tool. Similar methods can be improvised though if you are not a beater or painter It would be best to stump up the cash and get it done by somebody who knows what they are doing. Failing that you could get the angle grinder out and hack it up followed by a camo paint job applied with a broom. Seems to be all the rage these days :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 pm

I need to see if I can get it repaired there is a garage at the end of my road and one of the mechanics is meant to be good at fixing tanks so I may ask.

As for ebay I have had my eye on this tank for a while:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2191493845

It just looks horrid with that paint job and makes me wonder if its a dented tank that has been filled and covered over. Also the filler hole looks weird.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Totally orrid as you say . The paint has reacted around the filler hole because the lacquer hasn't overlapped the base coat causing it to lift. Better off getting yours repaired really as either way you will be paying for a paint job.
nug

Return to General Techie Stuff