Has anybody ever weighed their Big ?

Non bike specific questions

Has anybody ever weighed their Big ?

Postby nug » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm

I weighed my 750 recently. Front was 100KG, Rear was 120KG. So, 220KG in total.

Over the past week I have stripped the tanks and bodywork off my bike and given it a thorough deep clean. Whilst doing so, I decided to strip all my spares and tools off the bike. I also removed my rear box which carries my stove and kettle along with a tube and other bits and bobs that I can't stuff elsewhere on the bike.

Total weight sans crap = 200KG. On both occasions I had approx 2 gallons of fuel in it.

I am looking forward to a ride and taking in some local trails to see how different it feels. 20KG should make a huge difference to the off road handling and most likely a noticeable difference on road.

So, get the Wife off the bathroom scales and get the Big on them. It would be good to have something to compare mine to.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Has anybody ever weighed their Big ?

Postby BigBob » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:24 pm

The Big originally weighed 179kg dry according to Suzuki, and with oil etc it shouldn`t be more than 185kg.
If you subtract the weight loss from the OE silencer to the lighter aftermarket one you should be close to 180kg.
Shame you can`t put the whole bike on proper scales
Whatever it weighs, it`s firkin heavy to pick up if it`s laying on the ground :tdown:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 am

Considering that I have a Lithium battery and a Gixxer titanium silencer, that's bloody heavy! Come to think of it, my DRZ forks are lighter than the originals, as is the CCM front wheel. Fuel and engine oil approx 10kg. Still over 10kg more than factory spec :tdown:
nug

Postby H_Lime » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Must bet the usual case of manufacturers quoting fictitious figures for dry weights. Must weigh mine... will deffo by7 heavy as I've got crash bars, centre stand, spots, top box and rack.

Interesting the weight is so high. The bike genuinely feels lighter. Wonder what the rearward weight bias is like on other bikes in its class?
Last edited by H_Lime on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 am

Forgot about my crash bars and spotlights adding to it. Got a litre of oil in a holder hanging off bars as well. Custom dash is also fairly heavy thanks to the steel hoop which supports it. I have a fat seat as well. maybe it's not so bad after all?
nug

Return to General Techie Stuff