New cam and rockers

Questions regarding the DR800

New cam and rockers

Postby GrahamW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:41 am

My new cam and rockers have arrived from Megazip :)

Any tips for fitting the new rocker arms, I know the chrome end caps are very hard to undo should I try and loosen them off with a breaker bar with the engine still in the bike?

Am going to consult the manual as well.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Re: New cam and rockers

Postby GrahamW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:22 pm

I mean cover still on the engine not engine still in the bike. I remember trying to undo one when I had the cover on the workbench and could feel how hard it would be so gave up.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby BigBob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Just undo them a bit while still on the engine and remove them on a bench, they shouldn`t need a breaker bar.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 am

Cheers will do will be interesting to get that cover off and see the state of them. I sometimes use a breaker bar just so I can get good solid leverage in one go but hopefully they wont be too bad.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby bigrob » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm

That'll make an interesting photo to see.
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:22 pm

I have taken out the old cam, the rockers are very bad, the cam doesn't look as bad and the journals don't look too bad. A bit marked but not all chewed up like some pics I have seen. My cam chain guide looks a but chewed up though on one side so I probably should order a new one what do you lot reckon of the state of that any recommendations imho its not as bad as I thought it would be.

GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm

This is the cam chain guide that is looking like it is starting to crumble and it looks like I can change it without removing the head.

GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby BigBob » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Those rockers definitely needed changing!
The cam guide isn`t that bad and is not known for breaking up so I wouldn`t panic.
A new one from Robinsons is £27.50
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Cheers Bob, the cam guide looks like it can be change without having to take the head off which is good, I might change it as will probably need to order a couple of bits from Robinson's, the washers and springs for the rockers and some of that suzuki bond stuff for putting the cover back on.

I was worried it would be a right old mess and I would need a new head but things don't look too bad, am looking forward to riding the bike without that tapping.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby GrahamW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Looking at old photos from the rebuild it looks like the cam chain guide had that mark on it before maybe from a previous cam chain related incident. I checked the quick order pad and Robinsons don’t have them in stock so think I will leave it rather than hold up getting things back together. I did find a thread on here though where someone was complaining of engine noise and they said it could be where the cam chain adjuster pushes against the guide worn on the guide causing it to slap so that could be an argument for replacing it while the engine is open.

I am comparing my cams my new cam has an F on it and the old has a K on it they look pretty much the same except the oil holes look a bit bigger on the new one as well.

GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Next

Return to DR800