Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby H_Lime » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 am

Nug, I'll keep an eye out for a UK one, but yeah they seem scarce!

Unrelated to this thread but said I'd post here. Said I'd wash her after the spin but the freeplay on the pedal annoyed slightly on the ride as I was using it more due to slippy conditions so said when I get home I'll assess this properly.

The rear drum brake on my blue one. Finally set this up as per the manual.

Here is where I am in terms of adjustment. I set the pedal tip 10mm down from the bolt on the clutch casing and then adjusted the arm to 25mm free play.
I'm still in range of the wear indicator but close to the vertical line. It has new shoes, well maybe 2000kms up on them.
What do you reckon will be there lifespan of the drum based on normal use at this stage of wear?
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:09 am

Brake shoes never wear out it seems. I`ve certainly never heard of it.
When my tensioner let go on 175k a couple of years ago, the engine was toast but the rear shoes were original from new and hardly worn.
It`s the steel liner that wears out before the shoes do.
You might want to replace these with s/steel as they are the same as the Big https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09150-06010- ... SwTsFc3Cdb
I replaced mine years ago, no more rust :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:54 am

BigBob wrote:Brake shoes never wear out it seems. I`ve certainly never heard of it.
When my tensioner let go on 175k a couple of years ago, the engine was toast but the rear shoes were original from new and hardly worn.
It`s the steel liner that wears out before the shoes do.
You might want to replace these with s/steel as they are the same as the Big https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09150-06010- ... SwTsFc3Cdb
I replaced mine years ago, no more rust :tup:

That's mad. I will look into getting a softer compound shoes as it'd be nice not to wear the liner excessively if possible.
Cheers for the informed link, I bought that! :tup:
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:37 pm

Waiting on the bits required to change the CCT to land from megaunzipyerwallet but some of Hesslers bits touched down.

Those with a good memory may wonder why there's a HE disc and adapter tgere :oops: Yes I caved in on my home brew attempt but with good reason, sorta.

Bottom disc is what was on the bike and was worn to hell, I intended using the spare but its warped. Looks like a caliper seized and rusted on it at some point. So new disc required which is a ton.

Then the adapter.... I made one from nylon that worked and used a ground flat 12mm bit to "end mill" the slots but its far to dangerous to attempt that with t6 hardened 6082 on my pillar drill, I'd end up with a chuck in the face as they ain't keyed or specd for using as an end mill.

Sooooo I was gona buy an 800 euro second hand mill to do this at which point I stepped back.
800 yoyos could go towards tyres chain and sprockets and a lick of paint and pretty much finish her so just bought the adapter and disc from Stefan as I already had a spare caliper.

Huge thanks to Ray aka Ladder for sorting me out with the Intiminators. They have the same shim stack arrangement as the ones in my blue dr and they control the fork so well, especially on the brakes. A huge bonus to land these for the build imo. I'm going to run them with the stock springs to begin with.

So no real work done, just gathering all bits required to make a big push when life allows.
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:32 am

The sr41/42 braking isn`t the best as the disc is quite small and the choices of aftermarket discs isn`t good now either, and the OE disc is s/steel and doesn`t work too well either.
Back in the day you could get a PFM disc which worked really well even if they did rust at the mere hint of a raindrop.
I went for the DR650 front end on my Bigs as it has the bigger disc the same as the SR43, with uprated springs and a Brembo disc it all works very acceptably.
I also have a 4 pot Harrison on one, so one finger stoppies.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby bigrob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:25 am

H_L, are you/were you an engineer or are you just clever ? :tup:
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Owning a Big turns us all into engineers ;)
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm

Love to see the Harrison set up Bob.
Does the 650 front end require use of that head wrecker weird front wheel bearing?

Rob, my engineering acumen is up to lefty loosy right tighty, but there's no guarantees even then ;)

Will put Daves higher rate spring which I have coated white on this one as spare if touring with luggage. Thanks Dave :tup:

Got out on the blue one for fresh juice and a chance to stretch her legs. Had the baffle out, its fookin thunderous lol. Here she is getting a run of the hose, first time in a long time for a wash actually. She'll get the acf bath tomo evening.
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:57 am

Does the 650 front end require use of that head wrecker weird front wheel bearing?

Nope, it uses the same 6202 bearing on either side.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm

BigBob wrote:Does the 650 front end require use of that head wrecker weird front wheel bearing?

Nope, it uses the same 6202 bearing on either side.

For me thats the big draw there. Fifty feckin quid for an unsealed unobtanium bearing available only from suzi :wtf:
What if it went on the altiplano (or on the way to the shops :oops: ) . How would I get a replacement lol.
H_Lime

PreviousNext

Return to DR750